Male Sexual Dysfunction
The most common sexual dysfunction issues men face involve either problems with ejaculation, difficulty developing or maintaining an erection (erectile dysfunction) or dwindling sex drive. These issues tend to exacerbate with age, although they can potentially impact a man at any age.
Fortunately, sexual dysfunction problems are becoming less shrouded in secrecy or shame, and treatment options are expanding.
Male Sexual Dysfunction Symptoms
Male sexual dysfunction is a broad term that encompasses several different areas of male sexual performance, and as such, male sexual dysfunction symptoms vary based on the issue you are having with your sexual performance. Experiencing one or more of the following symptoms may indicate you are experiencing some form of sexual dysfunction.
- Difficulty developing or maintaining an erection
- Premature ejaculation (achieving orgasm too quickly)
- Delayed ejaculation or complete inhibition of ejaculation (reaching orgasm too slowly or not at all)
- Retrograde ejaculation (when semen is forced back into the bladder rather than the end of the penis at orgasm)
- Low libido (lack of interest in sex or no interest at all)
Often, the symptoms of male sexual dysfunction are not simply physical; many men also experience psychological symptoms including diminished mood, performance anxiety and stress.
Male Sexual Dysfunction Causes
Sexual dysfunction can also result from physical injury to the penis or testicles. Bicycling, spinning and horseback riding are known to injure or desensitize your sensitive male physiology. Nerve damage from strokes or surgeries is another culprit. Sometimes male sexual dysfunction is a side effect of certain medications you may be taking, like opiate pain killers, antidepressants or beta blockers for high blood pressure.
Unhealthy lifestyle choices like drug use, overeating, smoking, excessive alcohol intake and lack of exercise can also contribute to sexual dysfunction issues. Diet, too, can play an important role. A natural, unprocessed diet is key for optimal performance. Some researchers postulate a lack of omega-3 fatty acids and other healthy fats in your diet may contribute to sexual dysfunction. Junk food and the increased presence of hormones and chemicals in processed foods can also play a role. The link between foods packaged in plastic and BPA in cans and an excess of phytoestrogens are thought to negatively impact male hormone levels.
Psychological issues and stress can play in male sexual dysfunction as well. One single instance of erectile dysfunction can ramp up a man’s performance anxiety. It has been said that developing an erection when you are worried you might not is like trying to fall asleep when you have a history of insomnia. The more you worry about it, the less likely it becomes. Relationship issues may also be at the root of some sexual dysfunction. Your body may be saying something you are not willing to look at or talk about with your partner.
Male Sexual Dysfunction Treatment Options
- Quit smoking
- Exercise regularly and avoid sedentary activities
- Adhere to a healthy diet based on natural foods, healthy organic fats (especially Omega-3s), grass-fed organic meats, and lots of fresh fruits and vegetables
- Avoid processed foods and foods wrapped (and especially heated) in plastic wherever possible
- Avoid commercial meats or other foods with added hormones
- Avoid recreational drug use
- Explore with your healthcare provider whether the prescription medications you are taking could be causing your sexual dysfunction
- Consider couple’s counseling or therapy if you believe relationship issues, stress or psychological factors play a role in your sexual dysfunction
- For stress relief, consider massage, acupuncture, biofeedback or meditation
GAINSWave™ therapy is a form of extracorporeal shock wave therapy which utilizes pulsed acoustical waves to increase blood flow to the penis. It is a safe and efficacious alternative therapy to traditional ED treatments like Viagra® and Cialis® which creates no harmful side effects and requires no downtime. It can be safely combined with treatments like hormone replacement therapy which seeks to revitalize a man’s testosterone levels, or with a penile injection which injects a man’s own platelet-rich plasma into his penis in order to stimulate healing.